Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  
Glow_Mouse -- C'mon guys! Get your COTM entries in for this month to win the grand prize of 500+ posts to your count and the Official COTM winner's trophy! Best car wins!
Glow_Mouse -- Update: Hey guys! COTM is back on! There will be a prize +500 posts added to your current count and a Special Trophy award which will be added to your profile to let everyone know you won COTM! Enter to win!
Glow_Mouse -- Maintenance Update 22/6/18: Fixed a couple more bugs in the system, Reordered forum categories, Added a Site Feedback section (Sorry one thread only) to keep all feedback within one thread, did repairs on other forums and adjusted the regional forums to include Asia, Adjusted the General Forum description to include Kia Avellas.
Glow_Mouse -- It would appear, photobucket has restored 3rd party hosting. Most of the forum's imagery has returned. Check it out!
Glow_Mouse -- Maintenance Update 5/6/18: Fixed a bug in the Featured Forums that prevented users post from appearing.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Reply to this topicStart new topic

» How-To: DIY OEM Wing Conversion, Mod that OEM SE Wing for Non-SE Spires!
Glow_Mouse
 Posted: Dec 4 2011, 02:36 AM
Quote Post

Aspire Rockstar

Group: Admin
Member No.: 14

Rep: 0 pts

Awards: 3

Okay, So here we are. I figured every topic like this needs it's own DIY Wing and body thread.

Is Now A Sticky! biggrin.gif

Welcome to bodyshop 101 fibreglass and plastics class!

Today we're going to modify an OEM Factory stock wing for the Non Se-Aspire. Now since these cars have a majority figure in shape. We can guarantee it's going to work nicely. The rear hatch has 2 black surfaces either side of the hatch transparent glass section in which we'll attach the wing to once it's finished.

Note: This Manual is in parts

user posted image

So here's a DIY How-To Modify that OEM rear wing for your spire!
So first we're identifying what kind of tools and materials we're going to need to complete such a modification.

First: Materials.

user posted image
We're using a 3mm 1200x900 polycarbonate (or white handiboard) to fuel the mounting plates we'll be using to attach the wing to the glass once we start hollowing and flattening out the sections we'll need. These sheets of plastic can be found in most hardware stores around the US,AUS or any other regional sect in your country! smile.gif Prices vary from store to store. You can use this or equivalent so long as it is 3mm in thickness and reasonably flexible.

Next!
Adhesives:
we'll be required to use these to make it all happen:

user posted image
Fuller Window and glass is decent choice for projects like this, but as mentioned in the build thread. Preferred choice is Selleys Window and Glass. Window Adhesive will stick plastic to glass like no-body's business.

Now we are going to be using a secondary adhesive later down the track, but can use the Window adhesive for sealing purposes as well for the fastenings. I'll be explaining later on.

Tools:
Now the best way to cut the handiboard and start modifying the wing for the fitment of the hatch is 2 options:

1. We can use a jigsaw (any brand) and a fine blade designed for cutting plastics.
user posted image

or 2. A hacksaw with more or less the same properties of blade. Either one or both will be very handy when it comes to modification of the wing and prepping for the plate attachment.

3. A Powerdrill. Any wattage, (meaning power, so long as it'll drive screws into plastic) I'd suggest a 300watt or higher powerdrill of any brand. With a screw-driving bit.

4. Standard phillips-head screwdriver. Star-fitment

5. A countersinking drill-bit. Image below.
user posted image

and finally a caulking gun. This is a tool for squeezing adhesive cartridges such as selleys and fuller sealants. This particular tool can be found in any hardware store under plumbing or exterior. Image below. You will need to open the cartridges with a nail or sharp object and screw on a plastic cone tip. smile.gif Which will be close by or comes with the purchase.
user posted image

Part 1 finished:
Now that we've identified our materials and tools. Onto part 2.
The modification!

--------------------
Raising the bar for compact cars around the world.
.:: 1997 Aspire ::. - Revived Project - Glowspire
.:: 1998 Aspire ::. - Current Project - The Red Bean

user posted image
www.FordAspire.com - The World's #1 resource for aspire/avella & 2nd Gen Festiva
"Why Do you own so many bodykit parts?"
"I like to change the look of my car like i change underpants....everyday!"

Glowmouse's 97' Glowspire Build
Glowmouse's 98' Red Bean Build
My DIY Wing Conversion How-To
PM
^
Glow_Mouse
 Posted: Dec 4 2011, 02:37 AM
Quote Post

Aspire Rockstar

Part 2.

The modification!
Okay welcome back!

Now we're going to start modifying your wing.
When you get your wing, the bottom fastening areas should look like this...both sides.
user posted image

Both sides should have that same protrusions sticking out. This design was originally made for the SE Aspires which sought bolt-on features through the hatch glass.

Step 1. The Cut

THE CUT. we're going to saw it all off with our jigsaw or hacksaw. till its flat against the surface of the wing. Now when you go to saw it off, you may have to pick and pull some of the plastic. DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT. Pull from the middle to the sides. Or you will risk damage to the underside and topside of the wing. Use some sidecutters. (A cutting tool not mentioned in part 1, Used for cutting wire and light tin)

Once it's all sawn off smoothly, it will look like this:
user posted image

Notice we still have a screw-hole and a giant hollow section. But dont worry about the hollow section. We can cover all that up later on. Now do the other side the same way, being very careful not to pull the plastic to the sides... We don't need to damage that fine little line on the outside edge of the wing or it could make it very hard to seal up later once fitted.

user posted image
What happens when you pull....Notice the black line to the bottom left? That's an end result..We can avoid that, just take your time.

Now we have 2 hollowed out sections of wing. There's going to be a lot of mess on the floor, Just give it a quick sweep into the corner and continue on...

Step 2. The Plate

So the proposed plan is to make a plastic plate to cover the hole and fit comfortably inside the wing's outer-edge..Just.

user posted image
Courtesy of Snakebite. A member here on Fa.com who inspired the idea. smile.gif

So we'll grab that handiboard placing the wing face down and getting a pencil or pen and trace around the outside of the hollowed sections. To make a little sketched shape.

Like so.
user posted image

All we do now is cut the section out...Not completely accurate. Here's where you can be as sloppy as you want... (to a degree) We just want to get close enough to the edges not to over-shoot the cut but so we can go back and smooth it down to fit inside the outer edge.

After.
user posted image
this is what i like to call the rough stage. It's out of the board. taking shape. Note how i left a lot there...just in case i needed it...You can sand it down with some 1000grain sandpaper (also not mentioned in part 1)

Using the sandpaper and the sidecutters you can start smoothing out little sections here and there to make this.

user posted image
The First stage of taking shape. Looking good so far. smile.gif

Continued in part 3.

--------------------

user posted image
www.FordAspire.com - The World's #1 resource for aspire/avella & 2nd Gen Festiva

PM
^
Glow_Mouse
 Posted: Dec 4 2011, 02:37 AM
Quote Post

Aspire Rockstar

Continued...Part 3.

the 2nd Stage rub down.
user posted image

Sanding the plates down take a long time to get right, But it's always good to go back and fit them up against the wing now and then to get the curvature correct.

Here's the final stage after lining up the plate to get an accurate edge.
user posted image

Now we're onto the next part of this DIY.

Fitting the plate to the wing correctly and safely!
user posted image

It's going to get a little messy from here on in. So strap on your rubbergloves or just rough it out barehanded its all good!

user posted image
What we're trying to do now is find an accurate placement for the screws to fasten the plate. (Also not mentioned... Screw type REQ: Zinc plated 8G 3/4 IN" screw for use with plastic)

Now i only used 3 screws but there's a reason for that.
user posted image

Now before we do anything it's always good to find a position for the screw. We dont need to go through the plate and out the other side of the topside. Line the screw up first on the bottom of the wing mark it with a pen or nikko pen. Next get your power drill and a little drillbit (also not mentioned) You just want to make a little hole to screw the screw into...The drillbit musnt be too small or too large. Too small and it will fracture the plastic. Too large and the screw will fall through the hole.

Once you have it all lined up with the plate, the holes drilled in the plate and wing. We'll get to the procedure of countersinking the screws. (making the screws level with the plastic surface.

In the next part. Cont..part 4.

--------------------

user posted image

PM
^
Glow_Mouse
 Posted: Dec 4 2011, 02:39 AM
Quote Post

Aspire Rockstar

Cont part 3...

Now that we have our 3 holes or how many you chose to use.
We need to "countersink" the screws so they drop just under the plate and the reason for doing this is, when fitting the wing to the glass, the plate will rub against the glass and if there is a screw sticking out...You can kiss the glass goodbye... So we'll need to make sure those screws will drop down just under the surface of the plastic.

So we're using that countersinking drillbit. You can find this at your local hardware store.
user posted image

This bit makes a countersunk disc in any material it can grasp. Now we dont need to push too hard when making the disc...If you push too hard you can risk damaging or destroying the plate...So weight and force is key here.

user posted image
A review pic from the last part. See the miniature discs in the plastic? That's the end result of a perfect countersink.

user posted image
And what happens when you push too hard... You have been Warned!

Now hopefully the discs turned out great and the screw fits terrifically under the surface only just. smile.gif We can now screw the plates into the wing. You might have to move the plates a little bit once the screw's in to get all 3 or 4 to sit flat in the plate and wing. Once you have a trial fit take the plate off and grab your caulking gun and adhesive cartridge tube.

Note: Make sure you give the wing bases a little sanding and wiping over before continuing to the adhesive stage.

Crack it open and start squeezin. Start from the top of the wing base and in an "S" fashion move the adhesive down to the bottom and over the screw holes. When you go to screw the screws into the wing through the plate it will add extra strength and durability. Screw the plate into the wing and clean up any over-spill of the glue. (Or risk getting it on the wing surface...)

Now, Get little dabs of the adhesive using your thumb or finger to smear over the screws, get the glue to sit level as you can...

Like So. smile.gif
user posted image

user posted image
And....

Doing this prevents the screws from rubbing on the glass or even coming loose...
Leave the wing over-night to dry.

And when we come back we'll get to the finishing stages!

--------------------

user posted image

PM
^
Glow_Mouse
 Posted: Dec 4 2011, 02:39 AM
Quote Post

Aspire Rockstar

Part 4.

The Fitting.

Time to fit the wing to the car. Now if the glues not fully dry, leave it out in the sun for a few hours and tidy up your work area...have a beer, watch some telly or whatever...

Come back and it should be dry enough to continue. If you live in the colder states or cold countries. Consider a room in the house or garage when it's warm or hot. Alternatively you can use a heatgun to speed up the process, but being careful not to melt the plastic...

Now onto the serious business.
Give the glass a good cleaning down, give the wing-plate a wipeover, hopefully dry by now. Get the caulking gun and tube, Start squeezing again, Same pattern as before, the "S" shape from top to bottom and just around the outer part of the S as well. The inside edge of the plate.

Now stick it to the glass, First pop the hatch. (we'll need to use the gas struts later on)

Now the positioning of this is simple. On the hatch there's a rubber strip down the bottom and 2 black areas on the glass, both sides. (older models may not have) So we're going to stick the wing in that area. Just above the rubber strip on the bottom of the hatch and centred on the black areas.

Now to stop the wing sliding down during the drying process, lift the hatch up to a 180degree angle.

Like this:
user posted image

Leave over-night and for another day untouched. If you don't really have a lot of time. Heatgun it for an 1hr30mins. Light heat drenching only, or you'll burn the glue and the wing...

Once it's all dry it should sit there freely on its own.

Like so:
user posted image

Now if there's gaps still around the wing. You can get some adhesive that's left over and gap it all up and use your thumb to smooth it out, and it's paintable. You can use a black paintpen and some masking tape to paint the plate on the outer-edge just to tidy it all up. smile.gif

Recommend painting it before hand. But it'll still turn out the same way. smile.gif
And that's the DIY for everyone!

user posted image
I hope it turned out like mine or better! :chili

Good luck and hope to see pics!

~Mouse

--------------------

user posted image

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Fordaspire.com Garage | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topic