Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  
Glow_Mouse -- Hope they are doing well. It's pretty scary stuff. Check in with us, let us know how yall are gettin on.
Blurple95 -- are all of our Texas and Florida peeps OK?
malti -- nice job GM
Glow_Mouse -- http://files.jcink.net/uploads/aspire/notworthy.gif
Glow_Mouse -- I have restored several emoticons for use. They can be accessed as before during your posting. Click on them to add or add a " : " and the emoji name to display to save time.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» Need timing Help
Mr3001
 Posted: Aug 22 2014, 11:49 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

Rep: none

Awards: None

After finishing up my head gasket repair, some dummy (me) forgot to tighten the timing belt tensioner bolt and it back off. Well I tear it back apart and fix the goof up and put everything back together, but the motor wont even hit now.

So im thinking it may have jumped time or something. Whats the easiest way to go about lining everything back up. I don't think anything else got hurt during this goof up, motor was running great.
PM
^
rickbz28
 Posted: Aug 23 2014, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Awesome Member

Member No.: 175

Remove timing belt covers and verify that all 3 timing marks line up.If so turn the crank two full revolutions CLOCKWISE.If the marks are lined up after that then engine timing is correct and if not it means you are off 180 degrees.If 180 off remove timing belt turn crank one full revolution and reinstall timing belt.Then verify like I said previously.Hope that helps.BTW thanks for the seat belt buckles.Much better than were in the car already.
PMEmail Poster
^
Mr3001
 Posted: Aug 24 2014, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Everything is now put all back together but I have another issue, not getting any fuel.

New fuel pump, filter, can hear the injector running, i have power out of the fuel injection fuse under the hood, but no power to the fuel pump, and the intertia switch is not tripped. So Im thinking fuel pump relay is bad? Its under the dash?

Only problem is i cant get my big paws in to test the darn thing. I was gonna buy one at advanced but there 97 bucks. I'm gonna look on rock auto to see if i can find one possibly cheaper.
PM
^
Mr3001
 Posted: Aug 30 2014, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

QUOTE (rickbz28 @ Aug 23 2014, 12:34 PM)
Remove timing belt covers and verify that all 3 timing marks line up.If so turn the crank two full revolutions CLOCKWISE.If the marks are lined up after that then engine timing is correct and if not it means you are off 180 degrees.If 180 off remove timing belt turn crank one full revolution and reinstall timing belt.Then verify like I said previously.Hope that helps.BTW thanks for the seat belt buckles.Much better than were in the car already.

any chance it still being out of time after I assure these marks are lined up? It'll start, but it backfires, misses and eventually shuts off.

update- My dad had the ideal of turning the camshaft around 180 degree counterclockwise. When check the mark aliments and everything lined up, even after we turned the crank 2 full revolutions. Started it to see if it would run, it ran, alot better but still missed. So while it was running i turned the dist towards the firewall of the car as far as it would go, it ran a lot better but still could notice a slight misfire or what not.

Im stumped, its blisterin hot, any suggestions? The alinement marks look perfect could they still be off or something?

If it helps any when the marks are lined up, the rotor button points at number one plug wire on dist cap. Maybe my issue is something else besides timing? I changed the injectors when i got it from my old motor. I also changed the dist cause it had issues, the one i put on the motor was with unknown miles also. It was from a 97, but ran fine for 3 days until my goof up happened
PM
^
Glow_Mouse
 Posted: Feb 12 2017, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Aspire Rockstar

Group: Admin
Member No.: 14

Rep: 0 pts

Awards: 2

*bump*

To all that still have problems with timing.
The following marks must be:

Top cam: 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock

Driveshaft cam: 12 o'clock

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Raising the bar for compact cars around the world.
.:: 1997 Aspire ::. - Revived Project - Glowspire
.:: 1998 Aspire ::. - Current Project - The Red Bean

user posted image
www.FordAspire.com - The World's #1 resource for aspire/avella & 2nd Gen Festiva
"Why Do you own so many bodykit parts?"
"I like to change the look of my car like i change underpants....everyday!"

Glowmouse's 97' Glowspire Build
Glowmouse's 98' Red Bean Build
My DIY Wing Conversion How-To
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Engine and Drivetrain | Next Newest »

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll