Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules -  
Glow_Mouse -- Haha heyy blurple! Long time. Theres an option to put the mahiong board vertical so you can see them. Try zooming in more too. I tried to get it bigger but this forum only allows for a small resolution.
Blurple95 -- I love mahjongg but these tiles are hard to see sad.gif
fastivaca -- 5 weeks and counting to Westiva!!!!
Glow_Mouse -- Reminder: Just a reminder everyone, that the garage section is for how-to's only and every how to must have the How-To: Prefix attached. Thanks.
Glow_Mouse -- New game added. Forty Thieves Solitaire for all you card lovers.

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

» 2015 Sonic, The car I bought when the egg died.
Okami
 Posted: Jun 11 2015, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 499

Rep: none
Breakout Champion!

Awards: None

I bought it in February and wanted to show it off, so here I am finally getting around to doing that! Haha

Some specs on it are

Engine
Engine type 1.4L
Engine displacement 83 cu.in.
Engine horsepower 138-hp @ 4,900 rpm
Engine torque 148 lbs.-ft. @ 1,850 rpm
Valvetrain DOHC
Valves 16
Engine bore x stroke 2.9" x 3.3"
Compression ratio 9.50 to 1
Fuel tank capacity 12.2 gal.
Fuel economy city 29 mpg
Fuel economy highway 40 mpg
Curb weight 2,811 lbs.

Powertrain
100-amp. alternator
Chrome tailpipe Standard
Axle ratio 4.18
Front-wheel drive
6-spd manual
Transmission gear ratio (1st) 4.27
Transmission gear ratio (2nd) 2.53
Transmission gear ratio (3rd) 1.47
Transmission gear ratio (4th) 1.07
Transmission gear ratio (5th) .87
Transmission gear ratio (6th) .74
Transmission gear ratio (reverse) 3.82

Estimated Performance Specs
0-60 mph 8.89 seconds
1/4 mile 16.65 seconds at 85.69 mph
Lateral acceleration .88 g

Suspension/Handling
Independent front strut suspension w/anti-roll bar
Sport suspension
Front coil springs
Gas-pressurized front shocks
Semi-independent rear torsion beam suspension
Rear coil springs
Gas-pressurized rear shocks
Electric power-assist rack-pinion steering

The keys to the new beast!
user posted image

And the car itself!
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

And some interior shots
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

And this is the odometer when I brought it home
user posted image

Don't let that 12mpg fool you, it gets wayyy better than that. It had only been collecting data for 19 miles at that point. I'm averaging about 30 right now, but I do a lot of city driving.

And here's one more shot that I took today of the Aspire and Sonic back to back.
user posted image

So what do you guys think? I of course still work on and drive the Aspire, but this is my daily commuter and playtoy for now.

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'94 Aspire SE R.I.P Unicorn
'87 Chevrolet R20 Suburban
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
Okami
 Posted: Jun 11 2015, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Breakout Champion!

Forgot to add that that 1.4 has a turbocharger on it! I love the whine it makes during hard accelerations.

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
malti
 Posted: Jun 11 2015, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Custom Title Available!

Member No.: 527

Okami my friend, I'm out of words, that Sonic is a dream to have and drive, and it sure is a pretty sexy lady, I love those bucket seats, good luck mate. http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af137/Glowmouse09/clap.gif
PM
^
rickbz28
 Posted: Jun 11 2015, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

I Love Fordaspire.com!

Member No.: 175

Very nice. http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af137/Glowmouse09/fordaspirelike.jpg
PMEmail Poster
^
Okami
 Posted: Jun 11 2015, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Breakout Champion!

Thank you Malti! It is sexy isn't it? I've liked the Sonic since it came out, but when I saw the RS model I knew I had to have one! I wish I could get buckets for the Aspire. I saw a seat swapping thread on here a while ago, but I'm going to have to dig it back up again.

And thank you Rick for the thumbs up of approval! Haha.

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
jupiter2384
 Posted: Jun 12 2015, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Member No.: 521

Nice!
PM
^
Blurple95
 Posted: Jun 12 2015, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

un-Aspired :(

Group: Admin
Member No.: 16

Tetris Champion!

I almost bought a Sonic back when they were still the Aveo. Long story short, dealer pissed me off and I ended up with a Cobalt from another dealer. Now that I've gotten used to the 2.2 litres of screaming GM fury, I just don't know that I could go back to something smaller, turbo or not. I still drool over them on the highway though. Definitely some nice looking cars. You gotta use mid-grade gas in them, right? Cuz of the turbo?

--------------------
I don't have an Aspire anymore, but I still love 'em!

President and founding member of the Leave 'Em Stock Society- L.E.S.S. is more!

FREE FordAspire.com decals on hold for now. I'll let you guys know when I get more...
PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Okami
 Posted: Jun 12 2015, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Breakout Champion!

Haha. I almost bought a Cobalt because I didn't really want a new car. My sister had one and I loved it. She destroyed it though. Drove it like hell and never kept up with repairs or maintenance. I have a friend in West Virginia that bought a Sonic back in 2012 and when I drove it I knew that I really liked them. When I saw this RS model on the lot I knew I just had to go home with it. My only complaint is there weren't any metallic green ones left in the region, but paint is always changeable.

Funny thing about that 2.2 is my 1.4 could keep up with it. After driving both of them, I feel like the acceleration is better so I'd probably have you right off the line, but you may be able to catch up to me. Plus I know that the limiter kicks in on the Cobalt at 114 and on the Sonic it doesn't kick in till 130 so ha! tongue.gif All kidding aside though, the specs are very close so if you were to get one you probably wouldn't notice the difference. The difference in Tourqe is about 7ft pounds I think and the HP difference is about 17HP. These are just quick googled figures though, so I could be wrong. They really made a huge improvement on the engine since the Aveo though. Chevy's stepping up their 4-cylinder game a bit.

I run mid-grade in it, but it doesn't say anywhere that I should. Nor did the dealer mention that. I knew that with running the turbo I should probably get the better grade gas, so since the first day that's all I've ran in it.

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
zoom zoom
 Posted: Jun 12 2015, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Awesome Member

Member No.: 3

Rep: 5 pts
Hexxagon Champion!
Pacman Champion!
Simon Champion!

Awards: 1

Looks nice, and you bought a warranty with it so you wont have to work on it for a while lol.. Have you checked into the maintenance intervals for stuff like the timing belt or chain? I dont know anything about the newer chevy cars so I avoided them when I was car shopping.

--------------------
It's going to be Legend......waiiit for iiit.......I hope your not lactose intolerant because the next word is.......DARY!

user posted image

New Members ¤ Post Pictures ¤ Technical Questions?

2003 Ford Ranger- keeper, was my moms
2004 Ford Taurus- rescue/DD, sold
2008 Kia Rio- new beater, still drive the aspire!!!
1987 F-150- brought back to life, fishing truck/boat hauler!
1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun bike, sold
1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD, sold
2003 Predator 90- PuddleJumper, kids killed it dead
1997 Aspire- Peaspire, R&R, sold
1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD, given to cousin
1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord, sold
1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP
PM
^
Okami
 Posted: Jun 12 2015, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Breakout Champion!

Yeah, that warranty is a great thing. 3 Year/36,000 mile general warranty and 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain. One of the best offerings out there right now. Except KIA. They have 10 year/100,000 mile, but that's because newer KIA's frequently have issues. No offense to any KIA owners on here. I've just heard lots of bad experience stories from friends and co-workers that own them.

According to a Sonic service manual the 1.8 L engine needs changed at 150,000 miles, but no mention about the 1.4L. A quick internet searched turned up that there is no maintenance schedule for the timing chain on the 1.4L because it is maintenance free. We'll find that out in about 150,000 miles though! I guess the 1.8 has a belt and the 1.4 has a chain.

I've had experience with newer Chevys before. I haven't owned a newer one myself until now though. Just experiences with friends and families vehicles. Some good and some bad. But the good outweighed the bad, and I've been a Chevy guy for years. I've owned 2 S-10s, 5 Pickups ranging from 82-95, 1 K5 Full size Blazer, 1 Cavalier, 1 Camaro, and finally my '87 Suburban which I still have. I did a lot of swapping and trading during and after high-school, and I've had my fair share of beaters. Haha. My sister had a Cobalt, and I really liked that car too. My mom has an 08 Impala and I seriously considered one of those, but I don't need another gas guzzler. I've never had any real issues from any of them other than standard stuff that fails between 150,000 and 250,000 miles. Hell my 91 S-10 had 350,000 or so miles on it before I hit a ditch directly followed by a pine tree and I drove that sucker home! Sold it to a guy in my hometown and he still drives it around today. He fixed the cosmetic damage of course, but now it's multi-colored like my Aspire!

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
Okami
 Posted: Jun 12 2015, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Breakout Champion!

Oops. Didn't mean to post this and now it won't let me delete it. I guess I'll use the space to say not all KIAs are bad. Especially the ones they made for ford called the Aspire. I hear that that car is one hella sexy beast with very few issues! Haha. I've just heard bad things about the newer ones.

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
zoom zoom
 Posted: Jun 13 2015, 10:55 PM
Quote Post

Awesome Member

Member No.: 3

Rep: 5 pts
Hexxagon Champion!
Pacman Champion!
Simon Champion!

Awards: 1

QUOTE (Okami @ Jun 12 2015, 06:22 PM)
Yeah, that warranty is a great thing. 3 Year/36,000 mile general warranty and 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain. One of the best offerings out there right now. Except KIA. They have 10 year/100,000 mile, but that's because newer KIA's frequently have issues. No offense to any KIA owners on here. I've just heard lots of bad experience stories from friends and co-workers that own them.

According to a Sonic service manual the 1.8 L engine needs changed at 150,000 miles, but no mention about the 1.4L. A quick internet searched turned up that there is no maintenance schedule for the timing chain on the 1.4L because it is maintenance free. We'll find that out in about 150,000 miles though! I guess the 1.8 has a belt and the 1.4 has a chain.

I've had experience with newer Chevys before. I haven't owned a newer one myself until now though. Just experiences with friends and families vehicles. Some good and some bad. But the good outweighed the bad, and I've been a Chevy guy for years. I've owned 2 S-10s, 5 Pickups ranging from 82-95, 1 K5 Full size Blazer, 1 Cavalier, 1 Camaro, and finally my '87 Suburban which I still have. I did a lot of swapping and trading during and after high-school, and I've had my fair share of beaters. Haha. My sister had a Cobalt, and I really liked that car too. My mom has an 08 Impala and I seriously considered one of those, but I don't need another gas guzzler. I've never had any real issues from any of them other than standard stuff that fails between 150,000 and 250,000 miles. Hell my 91 S-10 had 350,000 or so miles on it before I hit a ditch directly followed by a pine tree and I drove that sucker home! Sold it to a guy in my hometown and he still drives it around today. He fixed the cosmetic damage of course, but now it's multi-colored like my Aspire!

The kia warranty isnt all its cracked up to be, they contacted me about getting a warranty extention to 100k but I dont need it. It would have cost something like 15% of the sales price and it just didnt seem worth it for 20k miles. I guess the manufacturers warranty cuts in half for free for the second owner with option to buy extended and third owners have the option to buy extended warrantys?

I heard a noise the other day and I thought it was my front wheel bearing, so I bought the bearing and replaced it but there didnt seem to be anything wrong with it once I got in there.... What was really bad was the rotor and pads, like really bad, so the problem was probably just the rotor all along and I did a wheel bearing for nothing, but..... The bearing had been replaced before. I don't know when it wasn't on the carfax but the chisel marks on the hub don't lie. Haven't really put enough miles on my rio yet to say its a POS moneypit or a decent reliable car but I bought it with hopes of doing bare minimum general maintenance for the next couple years. Timing belt needs done its at 81k and they recommend 70k, might get to that tuesday or wednesday... Whats weird is that its a 1.6/ 16V dohc VVT engine, but only has ONE camshaft sprocket so it will be an easy job like a sohc b series belt! I guess thats the VVT in the head I just wonder if theres a chain or belt in there that needs replaced too, I'm not used to VVT engines.

I bet the chevy engine you have is non interference since its maintenance free. That's pretty awesome peace of mind not having to worry about buying new valves and possibly pistons if the chain/belt breaks.

--------------------
It's going to be Legend......waiiit for iiit.......I hope your not lactose intolerant because the next word is.......DARY!

user posted image

New Members ¤ Post Pictures ¤ Technical Questions?

2003 Ford Ranger- keeper, was my moms
2004 Ford Taurus- rescue/DD, sold
2008 Kia Rio- new beater, still drive the aspire!!!
1987 F-150- brought back to life, fishing truck/boat hauler!
1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun bike, sold
1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD, sold
2003 Predator 90- PuddleJumper, kids killed it dead
1997 Aspire- Peaspire, R&R, sold
1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD, given to cousin
1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord, sold
1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP
PM
^
Okami
 Posted: Jun 16 2015, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Breakout Champion!

Not really worth it in my opinion either. For all you know whatever goes out in that 20K will end up costing less than the warranty.

Good luck on that belt change! If it's as easy as the aspire you're in luck!

That would make sense. I don't really drive the car hard yet, but that's just cause it's still so new. I'm sure that one day that chain will break though and I'll be glad to not have to do any additional repairs if it does turn out to be non-interference.

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
Blurple95
 Posted: Jun 17 2015, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

un-Aspired :(

Member No.: 16

Tetris Champion!

so how much legroom is there in the back, compared to the Aspire?

You know people talk crap about Chevies all the time but I've had my Cobalt for over 7 years and have had very few issues, and I'm not the most attentive, caring owner, either LOL. Plus we have 3 Silverados of various ages. Oldest is a 1990 and it runs like a champ!

--------------------
I don't have an Aspire anymore, but I still love 'em!

President and founding member of the Leave 'Em Stock Society- L.E.S.S. is more!

FREE FordAspire.com decals on hold for now. I'll let you guys know when I get more...
PMEmail PosterAOL
^
Okami
 Posted: Jun 17 2015, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Very Advanced Member

Breakout Champion!

Well I'm not sure about the 4 door because the only ones I've ever seen have either been in the JY and the one that an old co-worker of mine drove around. So I've never actually sat in one.

The quick google figures on it are this though

2 Door Aspire - 34.2 Inches
4 Door Aspire - 34.2 Inches? All sites just give the same dimensions

I guess even though they are larger, the extra space is just extending where the hatch goes?

Sonic - 34.6 Inches

So the figures say they are about the same, but when I look at my backseat vs. the Aspire backseat I feel like there is more room. Maybe it's just width though. Hmm.

Yeah, people do talk crap about em, but I've never had a bad one! I guess part of it is all of the recalls they did recently, but everyone has recalls at one time or another.

About that 1990 Silverado, my 87 Suburban has the same engine, I just converted mine to carburetion instead of TBI, and it was still running strong at what I'm guessing is 220,000 miles. Maybe even 320,000. Can't really know for sure since the odometer rolls over every 100,000 miles. It'd still be running to if I didn't drop that bolt down the distributor hole when I was doing an intake job on it. Haha. Those old trucks were built to last!

--------------------
'97 Aspire 3D
'15 Chevrolet Sonic RS
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Other Subcompacts | Next Newest »

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll